May 13, 2018
A small way to use less energy without going crazy. Using less energy doesn’t mean to spend a fortune on solar powering your house but these ways can still make a difference!
1. Decrease Water Usage
• While brushing your teeth, turn the water off until ready to rinse.
• Take showers that are a shorter by even a minute or two.
• Flush the toilet only when necessary (must use own judgment on this one)
• Wait until dishes or laundry is completely full before running a load
2. Decrease Energy Usage
• Buy energy efficient appliances, they may be more expensive at first but in the long run they will make up by decreasing energy bills,
• Unplug chargers when the appliance isn’t being used. They continue to use power even when not plugged in. Unplugging phone chargers, toasters and blenders are a good place to start!
• Every time you leave a room make sure to shut off the lights even for a few minutes
• Put devices with remotes (TVs, VCRs, and stereos) on a power strip and turn it off when you’re not using them. These devices will still use ‘standby’ mode, even when turned off.
• Walk or ride your bike instead of driving short distances
3. The 3 R’s
Add this to your daily routine!
• When going food shopping, bring your own cloth bag instead of using multiple plastic or paper bags
• Start a compost to decrease kitchen waste.
• Buy less ‘stuff’. Everyone loves stuff but we don’t really need it. Go through draws you haven’t touched in a while because more then likely you bought that pack of batteries before and forgot they were there.
• Toilet paper holders can be used to sow seeds for a vegetable patch.
• Old yogurt containers can be cut into long rectangles to make label plants.
• Use cool mason jars for drinks instead of plastic cups you only get to use once.
• Try regrowing some vegetables from kitchen scraps that can easily be regrown like avocado, basil, celery and pumpkins seeds!
4. Get the Kids Involved
- Make collecting empty bottles and plastic part of weekly chores to be placed in the recycling bin
- Place signs up in Children’s bathrooms to remind them to shut off water when brushing teeth
- Show them how to regrow vegetables to get them involved in the process
VanGo Junk Removal
VanGo Junk Removal is Long Islands premium Junk Removal service. We Service residential as well as commercial. We get rid of household junk, Construction debris, Appliance Removal, Furniture Removal, Clean Outs, Carpet Removal, We will take almost anything! We take great pride in the customer service we provide. We’re here to get our hands dirty while keeping your clean. Call us today at 516-442-8811 for your FREE estimate.